Please send these documents as one PDF file by November 13, 5 pm:
1. Send a 2-page letter to email@example.com, including:
· The proposed Semester topic and its importance in terms of recent research on the topic and its potential for broad interdisciplinary appeal;
· Description of your own work on the proposed topic and what project you intend to undertake during the semester;
· Several (3-5) interesting and cross-cutting questions that participants from disparate disciplines might address, and/or give at least one hypothetical example of how a participant in one discipline might inform the work of a participant from another discipline;
· Short list (3-5) of distinguished people in the field outside the UI who might be invited to speak;
· Your experiences in directing or participating in collaborative ventures;
· Idea(s) for public event you might host in conjunction with the Semester;
· Semester you wish to convene the Cmiel Research Semester, e.g. Fall 2013 or Spring 2014.
2. Send a CV or biosketch (3 pages maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org, including degrees, appointments, relevant publications, and external grants.
3. Have your DEO send an email to email@example.com stating: “I endorse this proposal. If this application is recommended, I am willing to allow a one-course reduction for the applicant with compensation to the department/college from the Obermann Center of up to $10,000.”
If you would like to discuss your proposal, contact Teresa Mangum (Teresafirstname.lastname@example.org), 335-4034.
Applications will be judged by a group of Obermann Advisory Board members representing different disciplines by the following criteria:
- Scholarly importance of the topic;
- Potential for attracting strong UI researchers, scholars, or artists from a variety of disciplines;
- Likelihood that the interdisciplinary exchange in the Semester will have a significantly enriching impact on work of the participants;
- The applicant’s record of scholarly work on the topic and experience with seminars, symposia, or other collaborative ventures.
All materials are due electronically to Neda Barrett (email@example.com), 335.4034) by 5 pm on Tuesday, November 13.