When COVID-19 interrupted the late spring events and culmination of the yearlong Mellon Sawyer Seminar Imagining Latinidades: Articulations of National Belonging, we didn't know that the events would eventually end up online and across institutions. In 2019-20, seminar co-directors Darrel Wanzer-Serrano, Ariana Ruiz, and Rene Rocha worked across disciplines to organize six symposia, a film series, and a podcast. With Wanzer-Serrano now in the Communications Department at the University of Texas A&M and Ruiz in the Department of Literature at the University of California-San Diego, the final events are being co-sponsored across institutions.
On March 26-27, 2021, the three scholars will host the following guests, some of whom will also join them on their podcast of the same name.
- Leticia Alvarado, Ethnic Studies, Brown University
- Gaye Theresa Johnson, César E. Chávez Department of Chicana/o and Central American Studies, UCLA
- Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes, Spanish and Women's and Gender Studies, University of Michigan
- John Mckiernan-González, History, Texas State University
- Cathryn Merla Watson, Literatures and Cultural Studies, University of Texas-Río Grande Valley
- Catherine S. Ramírez, Latin American and Latino Studies, University of California-Santa Cruz
- Ramón H. Rivera-Servera, School of Communication, Northwestern University
- Richard T. Rodríguez, Media and Cultural Studies, University of California-Riverside
More details: https://imagininglatinidades.lib.uiowa.edu/.
This virtual event is free and open to all.
Cosponsored by the UI Obermann Center for Advanced Studies, the Institute of Arts and Humanities at the University of California–San Diego, the Glasscock Center for Humanities Research at Texas A&M University, the Iowa City Public Library, and the UI Latina/o Studies Program.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa-sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact Erin Hackathorn in advance at email@example.com or (319) 335-4034.