Obermann Conversations: What shall we talk about in 2019-20?
If you have suggestions for the 2019–20 Obermann Conversations series, we'd love to hear from you. This series is intended to feature an Obermann-related scholar (researchers, artists, graduate students) and a community member around a shared topic. We meet three times in the fall and three times in the spring to talk about issues relevant to our community and our times.
Recent conversations have addressed the following topics:
- The power of music in film
- Local disabilities initiatives
- Addiction research and treatment services
- The U.S./Mexico border
- Gerrymandering, voter registration, and access to the ballot
- Women in sports and the legacy of Title IX
- Gun control, public health, and restraints on research
- Global citizenship
- Art as political witness
- Puerto Rico, colonialism, and the U.S. response to Hurricane Maria
- Singing as a transformational practice
- Iowa's environment in historical perspective
- Aging in place in Johnson County
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas!